What Executives Want
We asked leaders what they are struggling with and what their needs are in regards to a more balanced life. See if this rings a bell for you. Here are some of the answers:
- The quantity of work is overwhelming and the pressure of permanent deadlines wear me down. I need to change something here but I don't know where to start.
- I like my work and my responsibilities a lot. But what I am doing is energy draining. I know I need to delegate more. Quite frankly: I am not good at that. And that's what I want to learn more about.
- I spend less and less time on the things that make me feel alive, things that I once loved. It's scary. It would be good to get back to some of my old dreams.
- Honestly, I would like to know how to stop the train or at least how to slow it down.
- Whatever I do it never seems to be enough. I feel depressed lately.
- My wife is unhappy with our marriage and I can't blame her. We don't spent much quality time together any more. I would like to change that but I am not clear about how to begin. Recently we argue a lot and this costs me a lot of energy.
- In a position like mine people often tell you what you most likely want to hear. That doesn't help. I need clear and honest feedback to get great results at work.
- Every time I have to deal with difficult people in my company I get impatient and angry. I know it's wrong. As a result the atmosphere around me is tense. I also have trouble with one of my key reports. I don't know how to deal with these people. It makes my work very complicated and it's tiring.
- I am afraid I might get a heart attack one day, but I don't see how I could change the situation I am in. So I keep going. I feel trapped.
- I am taking on much more work than I should. It's difficult for me to say 'No'.
- There is nobody really to talk about the harassment that's going on in our team. It's not about me but I feel very uncomfortable and don't know how to express it properly without losing the support of my team. It feels like there is nothing I can do about it.
- I feel more and more unproductive and cannot figure out why.
- My boss is a nightmare. I wish I could communicate the problems that he causes. He probably has no idea why my coworkers are absent so often.
- A while ago I made some bad decisions and this is making my work life miserable. I need a fresh pair of eyes to see what I am not seeing right now. My family cannot help me here.
- What I need? Vacation! I haven't had a real vacation in years.
- When I got my new position in our company I had a permanent high for a while. In the meantime I work 12 to 14 hours a day. I have to admit that I am too exhausted to go on like this. I am looking for a solution. I don't want to lose my secure place in our organization. And I don't want to loose my family either.
- My husband is very sick. I want to be there for him but I am afraid what will happen at work if I stay at home more often. I cannot focus on my projects any more.
- My Blackberry is always with me. There is no private time in my life anymore. I always have to be available. It makes me angry and nervous.
- I need a lot of coffee to be productive at work and in the evening I drink too much wine to be able to relax. My doctor told me to stop that. Well, easier said than done.
- I often feel isolated and cannot talk about the unbearable pressure that I experience. Sometimes I feel like a walking time bomb. I would like to have a trusted team or advisers to cheer me on.
- I would like to be a better role model for my employees and for my son as well.
- My husband asked me recently a question that was a painful wake-up-call for me. He said: "When was the last time you read a good night story to our kids?" It's embarrassing but he is right. I fear that one day my kids will hate me for this.
- If only my partner would understand and support me more.
- I attended many business related seminars. I read all kinds of management books. It seems that I still cannot follow through with the goals I set for myself at work. It is difficult for me to ask for support. I cannot hide my problems any more. They effect my performance big time.
- I feel guilty whenever I relax. That's why I cannot really recharge my batteries.
Does any of that sound like you? If so you may want to contact us to find out what we can do for you to change your (work) life for the better.
Executive Coaching & Leadership Training ~ Santa Fe ~ New Mexico ~ USA